Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Lantau Island- The Big Buddha & Po Lin Monastery






~ Day 4 in Hong Kong ~
~ Lantau Island- The Big Buddha, Wisdom Path, Lantau's Peak, and the Po Lin Monastery ~

     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    The next day, we took the Skyrail Cable Car up Lantau Island to see The Big Buddha and Po Lin Monastery. P.E. and Esme were very entertaining as we "flew" over the mountains to the top. We walked around a little bit and then climbed the stairs to say hello the "The Big Buddha." Paul Eli kept mentioning how the statue was "So Giantic!" Next we enjoyed some "thumbs up" Hong Kong Style Egg Waffles.

view from the cable car




Esme gets an easy ride to The Buddha


almost there! 

Hello Big Buddha




Tiny Esme next to the "Giantic" Buddha




kitty gets a big hug


Hong Kong Style Egg Waffles. Thumbs up from the whole fam. 


    After everyone went home for nap, I decided to stay for a little 4 hr hike up Wisdom Path to Lantau Peak, then across/down the mountain to finally reach Tung Chung Bay. As the pictures demonstrate, the stair stepper has nothing on Lantau Island... 

Po Lin Monastery

incense for the temple




Lantau Peak


Here we go... Time to find my way home. 



just a few hrs of this... feelin the burn.



Big Buddha's starting to look like Little Buddha....

Finally a glimpse of the end.


Tung Chung Bay

Made it! 

    When I finally arrived at Tung Chung Bay, there were no more signs...so I just kept walking.

    There were little houses then forrest then some more little huts, and finally came out of the trees to find civilization. I asked someone if they knew where Tung Chung MTR Train Station was, and they looked at me like I was crazy and walked away. ....so I just kept walking....wishing I knew Mandarin or Cantonese, or at least cell phone service or a map... 

    With no progress, I attempted again and found a friend who spoke English! Just a few miles and I would reach the train! A couple that I had passed on the way down decided to join my journey to the train station. They were visiting from mainland China and said they were excited to practice English. They taught me some Mandarin in exchange :) And eventually, I found my way back to my temporary home in Kowloon, Hong Kong. 



"Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without."
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment