Wednesday, February 20, 2013

A Mumbai Evening

Marine Drive- Mumbai, India

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
Yesterday after work I wanted to see more of the city. My roomie is gone again for a week, so I figured I would just go explore on my own. A few people have mentioned that I should see the "Hanging Gardens of Mumbai" on Malabar Hill, so I stuffed my white coat into my bag and went across the street to find a cab. "Jougay Malabar Hills- Hanging Gardens hei?" (do you go to MH-HG?).  The first taxi guy said, "nai, nai," (which sounds like nuh-hee when spoken slowly) as he tilted his head no. I asked a few other taxis, and one finally told me, "Ha." (yes). So I hopped in and said, "Teekay. Malabar Hill jaana hei." (ok, I need to go to MH). (Although I am feeling a little more confident in getting around on my own, I'm still a little cautious to make sure they take me to a legit place...).

After driving up the Malabar Hill, through little streets with houses and people selling goods on the side, we arrived at The Hanging Gardens. "Kitna hua?" I asked as I looked at the meter and pulled out my rupees. It seems like the more Hindi I attempt to use, the less they try to rip me off. I pay him and say "Teekay, dunhya vaad." (ok thank u). And he tilts his head side to side to say "you're welcome." The garden was a large area with green grass, flower beds, statues, and clean paths to walk along. There were little families lounging out on the grass and happy couples sitting together on benches. And the air smelled like flowers! Ah such a relief!! There are many many scents in India, and I'll just say that many of them are not exactly pleasing to the senses.... but here, it was lovely. The warm sun was shining on my light skin (yea...definitely need some color and Vit D!) as I walked around the gardens enjoying the peaceful atmosphere.

The rest of the evening I went down to South Bombay, near where the Kala Ghoda Festival was, and walked around a little bit. (It's funny, once you've been somewhere a first time, it doesn't seem quite as scary after that). The area was familiar to me so I felt relatively safe. I walked around by the Prince of Wales Museum and through the Jahangir Art Gallery. I loved the art gallery. There were bronze statues of dancing figurines, which made me think of Degas and his love for the human figure in his ballet pieces. Upstairs by another exhibit, I could smell the oil paints from the studio down the hall. It reminded me of the tranquility of being in a painting studio for hours, completely relaxed and focused. Made me smile. In the next room, a few people started taking pictures of me again and it made me laugh. One of my Asian friends here said that he takes it as a complement. He says, "You only get to be a celebrity once, might as well enjoy it while it lasts!" Haha. There was a group of women who looked lovely in their beautifully detailed saris and adorable little kids all dressed up, so I asked them in return, "Aapka photo le suktea hun kya?" (can I take a photo of you?). I tell them, "You all look so Beautiful! Achaa la gaa- Saris sundara hei." (I like...Saris are beautiful...), trying to figure out how to tell them how pretty they look. They laugh at my attempt to speak Hindi and smile for the camera.


After the museum, I walked along the streets to see what the venders were selling. I usually don't buy anything, but when I saw a little display of painted leaves, I couldn't resist. I collect postcards from everywhere I travel and have them in a little book. So I caved and bought a little painted leaf card to remind me of all my experiences in India! Then out of nowhere, a random guy came up to me and said, "Lady, hallo. You be my friend for today yes?" "Yes ok?" I couldn't help myself and laughed out loud a little bit... "Nuh-hee." (no) I said as I started to walk away. After he kept pestering I had to say it a little more forceful and he left me alone. Haha. Sometimes things here just make me laugh. Before dark, I decided to find a cab to head in for the night. As the sun was setting, we drove along Marine Drive, then over the Sea-Link, and through the stop and go busy traffic, back to my temporary home sweet home. It was a lovely evening :)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Malabar Hills- The Hanging Gardens of Mumbai






~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
The Jehangir Art Gallery


 

Sandara Saris :) 





~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Marine Drive and The Worli-Bandra Sea Link

Saifee Hospital 




The Bandra-Worli Sea Link

The Haji Ali Dargah 





Haji Ali again..








....Went a little overboard with the pics...It was just so pretty! :)
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

"Wonder rather than doubt is the root of all knowledge." (Abraham Joshua Heschel) 

"Expand your self identity boundary to include the entire universe. She is identified as "one harmonious whole." (Ken Wilber- "No Boundaries") 

[yea yea. I know I get nerdy in these blogs... It's just the way I am...]

No comments:

Post a Comment