Tuesday, February 5, 2013

First Day in the Hospital

The Saifee Hospital at night!
(Where we operated on my first day- took this the night before when we were looking at the Queen's Necklace)

Well, my first day was yesterday... (I'm trying to keep up with this blogging stuff!). During my 45 minute ride into the hospital, there was always something more to see, to take in, to wonder about. I noticed that the number of slums off the main road were fewer as we got closer to South Bombay. Bigger and bigger buildings started popping up as we drove south, but small huts were still scattered between buildings. After my cab dropped me off, I wandered into the old side of Hinduja Hospital- there is an old and a new building connected by a walkway bridge. Again demonstrating the never ending contrast of old and the new. As I entered, I tried my best to ask, "Aapgo maloom Dr. Tibrewala hai?", "Dr Tibrewala kahan hai?" (where is Dr. Tibrewala), and eventually found where I was supposed to go.

I met with the medical director and he explained the history of Hinduja Hospital, the four wealthy Hinduja brothers, and how the health system works in India. I learned that despite the huge population and great need for health care, the government spends only <2% of its GDP on health care (as compared to our 17%), therefore the funding for the public hospitals/clinics is spread incredibly thin. These are the hospitals where most of the residents and students train, where patients flood in like it's a train station, where resources are used to the bare minimum, and where they see absolutely everything. Then there are private hospitals (like Hinduja Hospital and the Saifee Hospital) funded by wealthy donors, and are spread among Bombay as well. The masses of people needing adequate health care is outrageous. And again, there is the contrast of those who have money and access to health care, and those who do not have that luxury. (should health care even be luxury? I'm not sure I agree w/ that...seems like health, safety, and security should be provided by the government.. Health care should be a right, available for everyone, but without funding that's not possible.. anywho. I'm sure that topic could go on and on...) It has been interesting seeing how health care is provided in US vs Central and South America vs India so far. Wish I could see how it works all around the world- what works, what doesn't, is there a perfect health system?

Anyway- I met the surgeon I'm working with and he is great! I am very excited to learn from him this month. Our first part of the day was consults. We saw patients with cleft lips and palates, terrible burns, right hemihypoplastic facial features that needed reconstruction, breast cancer patients for breast reconstruction, and many others. Then we traveled over to the Saifee Hospital for a breast reconstruction. When I realized which building it was, I was blown away that I was actually gonna go in it! It is unbelievably beautiful. The windows look out over the Arabian Sea, the walls and floors decorated with green patterns and designs (the traditional color of Islam), and the shiny tile floors filled with color and decoration, reflecting off any light that reaches them. There are places for you to leave your shoes before you enter the Pre-Op/Post-Op area, and you switch into these shoe/slipper things that they provide. In the middle of the case they insisted that I go to the doctor's lounge for a "tea break." Normally, I would try to stay in the OR for as much of the case as possible, but definitely couldn't pass up a tea break over looking the Arabian Sea! We finished the operation, and I finally got home around 11pm.

The Hinduja Hospital (google image of the new hospital side)

View from the Hinduja Hospital

The Saifee Hospital (google image)

My "Tea Break" view from Saifee Hospital overlooking the Arabian Sea


Another view from Saifee Hospital 
(looking to the top of the Queen's Necklace where I took the picture the night before)

Annnd another view from the Saifee Hospital. So beautiful! 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." (Eleanor Roosevelt) 










2 comments:

  1. South Bombay is definitely the wealthier part of the city. I've heard that the group of people who live in the area around the world trade center there pay more in taxes than the whole rest of India combined! Also, because you mentioned health care systems, you should check out T.R. Reid's Healing of America when you get back- chronicles 6 different health care systems across the world, mostly in developed countries but he does also include India. Ok, I'm gonna stop commenting on all your posts now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet! I will definitely be checking out T.R. Reid's Healing of America. Haha I like your comments. Send me more words of wisdom!! so I can expand my mind!!!~ (...Is it obvious that I'm Caroline's sister? hehe)

    ReplyDelete