Sunday, February 10, 2013

The Kala Ghoda Arts Festival 2013

Kala Ghoda Arts Festival- Tightrope performer guy

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
Yesterday afternoon I headed down to South Bombay to experience The Kala Ghoda Arts Festival. My hour and a half cab ride wasn't so bad with the site seeing I got to do from my window and the variety of Indian music playing on the radio. My driver did not speak English, but he understood my Hindi so I was happy with that! Out the window we passed Bandra and drove through the city. We passed by the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus- the headquarters of the Central Railways of India built in 1864. The architecture was beautiful! (a combination of Victorian Italianate Gothic Revival architecture & Mughal and Hindu Traditional buildings). Then we passed by the Flora Fountain, the Prince of Whales Museum, the Rajabai Clock Tower, and Crawford Market. The traffic was unbelievable as cars were swerving around each other and honking. We drove through the chaos as we dodged people frog-hopping across the streets. When the cab dropped me off, I had no clue where I was... So before he drove away, he laughed at me, pointed up the street, and said, "oodthar." (there). I smiled and said, "Dhunya vhaad." (thank u). I followed the masses of people up the road to the entrance for the festival. All the women were heading to the left side, so I followed their lead as we entered through the security check. I was a little uneasy about being there alone, so I called the friend-of-a-friend that was meeting me to see if she had arrived. I feel bad because I called her nearly 10x and texted to see if she was coming haha. Turns out something had come up and she wasn't going to be able to make it. I was nervous to be hanging out solo in the middle of South Bombay, barely speaking any Hindi, but I tried my best to blend in with the crowds and was happy that everything turned out ok!

There were tons of art pieces, food, little markets, entertainment, people singing and dancing, and doing little shows all around us. There were families and little kids everywhere (which made me a feel a little more safe). Everyone was happy and laughing and having a great time. For the first time here I saw a few white people in the distance. I wondered where they were from and if they spoke English. Loud music and drums started playing and a performer climbed up a pole to walk across the tightrope. He did different tricks and everyone was cheering and clapping. I was taking pictures of him and totally distracted by his performance, when I looked down and saw some ppl standing there looking at me, taking pictures, and pointing at me to their friends. Haha I didn't know I was part of the show, but apparently my light skin was unusual for them... (or I'm just funny looking...not sure which..). I quickly turned and got myself scooped up in the flow of people so I could attempt to blend in a little better.

I left just before sunset and headed back home. It was a great experience and definitely glad I ventured out to see it!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

The Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus

Hutatma Chowk (Martyr's Square)

The Flora Fountain at Hutatma Chowk (Martyr's Square)

The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation Building

"Procession" by Paresh Maity 
[Ants made of motorcycle fuel tanks and headlights]

"Kapala" by Sukant Panigrahy- visual arts statue

"Dhanda" (Business) by Baaya Design 
[Mumbai is the business capital for India]

A little puppet show

Tightrope performer

and again... :) 

Performers who did song and dance

Security!

Two more art pieces

"The Shektor Tree" by Rajesh Buheche 
["has harrowing tales of atrocities committed against women, especially young girls"] 

Annnd The Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus on the way home

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment